Skip to main content

REVIEW: Good Eggs by Rebecca Hardiman published by Atlantic Books

 








The Gogartys are an Irish family, and in this book the story centres on three main family members, Grandma Millie, stepson Kevin and teenage daughter Aideen.

The book starts with Millie being arrested for shoplifting (again) and Kevin and his wife Grace deciding to send rebellious Aideen to a boarding school. When the family appoint a carer for Millie and Aideen goes off to focus on her studies, life shifts up a gear for the Gogarty’s and they certainly don’t get the smooth ride they were hoping for!! Nothing goes to plan, and things descend into chaos!

I really enjoyed this story, although it felt like a book of two halves. I absolutely loved feisty old Millie who certainly wasn’t going to take anything lying down, however sometimes her stubbornness did drive to me distraction, and I could completely relate to poor old Kevin! One part of the book I didn’t get was the relationship between twin sisters Aideen and Nuala – they were chalk and cheese and to be honest, I would have loved a bit more focus on how different their lives became when one was shipped off to boarding school and the other one stayed at home.

The second part of the book focuses on the foreign adventure two of the characters have, which I could have read more and more of.

The ending I didn’t get at all, and I think I might have missed something, because I completely didn’t understand the last line of the book and I don’t know what was given to Millie? If anyone could shed any light on it, that would be great.

 

I adore Irish fiction and if you are a fan of Marian Keyes you will also a love this story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson

The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson Published by Avon Books 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ New Mum Orla and Party girl Kate have been best friends forever and so with Orla adapting to motherhood, and Kate facing a messy divorce, they decide to have a girl’s weekend away in Lisbon. Kate has booked the perfect apartment, complete with hot tub and they kick the weekend off in style with champagne, a fancy dinner, and drinks at a trendy bar. Returning to the apartment that evening Orla feels a bit woozy and goes to bed but the next morning, she wakes up very groggy and is convinced that her drink was spiked and she tries to piece the night back together again. When she checks on her friend, Kate is not in the apartment, and hasn’t left a note – she has simply disappeared. As Orla frantically retraces their steps she makes a series of discoveries that may change her life forever. The main character in this book is Orla who is been married to Rob, together they have baby Marlow who they conceived with IV...

When Life Interrupts Reading (And Why Books Always Wait For Us)

I've been very quiet on here over the last 18 months. Reading, something that usually anchors me, slipped quietly into the background, not because I didn't love it anymore, but because life asked me to put my energy elsewhere. The main reason is my mum. She's 89 and I adore her. Following a dementia diagnosis, she moved into residential care, a road I never imagined navigating, and one that came with a steep learning curve. In the early days there was a small silver lining, her care home was close enough that I could pop and visit her every day during my lunch hour and those visits mattered more than I can put into words. Over the last year though, her dementia has progressed very rapidly. There was pneumonia, and then on Christmas day sepsis. And as if that wasn't enough, a relative made the decision to move Mum to another care home further away from me, but nearer to her, meaning that I can no longer see her every day. Losing that routine felt like another quiet grief...

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a...