Skip to main content

REVIEW: Dog Days by Erika Waller published by Random House

 





Dogs Days is the story of three different people living three different lives…Grumpy old George is struggling to come to terms with the death of his wife Ellen who has left him handy notes around the house and a new puppy as well…Counsellor Dan who lives OCD, is afraid to face up to his own feelings and sexuality, and Lizzie who is seeking solace in a woman’s refuge with her son Lenny.

All three strangers have one thing in common…dogs - whether they own them, or the dogs are there at their side to provide comfort or just company.

 

Sadly, I didn’t connect with this book and I felt it was for several reasons. Firstly, the main thing that annoyed me was the name of one of the characters was Atticus Finch, the same name as one of the characters from To Kill A Mocking Bird. I was convinced that there must be a reason why the author chose this name as it is an unusual name and also one that has been used in such an iconic book. I was waiting all the way for the reveal as to what this character had in common with his namesake, but it didn’t come.

Also, and another major bug bear for me, was that there were two unprofessional liaisons which I didn’t feel would happen – that between a teacher and a parent of a child in their class and also a counsellor and his patient. Perhaps one of those in the story would be believable, but two…!

Saying all this, it was a book written with real emotion and there were parts in the story where I really felt for the characters especially George who although a grumpy old git was my favourite by far.

I would suggest that you don’t read this book if you are feeling emotionally low, as one character struggles with their mental health and all the challenges that it brings on a day to day basis which is often a difficult read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson

The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson Published by Avon Books 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ New Mum Orla and Party girl Kate have been best friends forever and so with Orla adapting to motherhood, and Kate facing a messy divorce, they decide to have a girl’s weekend away in Lisbon. Kate has booked the perfect apartment, complete with hot tub and they kick the weekend off in style with champagne, a fancy dinner, and drinks at a trendy bar. Returning to the apartment that evening Orla feels a bit woozy and goes to bed but the next morning, she wakes up very groggy and is convinced that her drink was spiked and she tries to piece the night back together again. When she checks on her friend, Kate is not in the apartment, and hasn’t left a note – she has simply disappeared. As Orla frantically retraces their steps she makes a series of discoveries that may change her life forever. The main character in this book is Orla who is been married to Rob, together they have baby Marlow who they conceived with IV...

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a...

When Life Interrupts Reading (And Why Books Always Wait For Us)

I've been very quiet on here over the last 18 months. Reading, something that usually anchors me, slipped quietly into the background, not because I didn't love it anymore, but because life asked me to put my energy elsewhere. The main reason is my mum. She's 89 and I adore her. Following a dementia diagnosis, she moved into residential care, a road I never imagined navigating, and one that came with a steep learning curve. In the early days there was a small silver lining, her care home was close enough that I could pop and visit her every day during my lunch hour and those visits mattered more than I can put into words. Over the last year though, her dementia has progressed very rapidly. There was pneumonia, and then on Christmas day sepsis. And as if that wasn't enough, a relative made the decision to move Mum to another care home further away from me, but nearer to her, meaning that I can no longer see her every day. Losing that routine felt like another quiet grief...