Skip to main content

The Library Girls Of The East End written by Patricia McBride and published by Boldwood Books





Firstly I'm going to start this review by saying how much I loved and adored this book.

You therefore can’t begin to imagine my delight when I found out that it is the first in a new series! (Skips with delight!)

It’s 1940, war is starting to ramp up and we meet Cordelia, she comes from a well-to-do family and has to tell her snobby mother that she has just got a job as the Head Librarian at Silver Town library in the East End of London in 1940. We are then introduced to Cordelia’s new colleagues Jane and Mavis and regulars of the library. Together they work well coming up with ideas on how the library can help the community and with that enters doctor Robert Fernsby who uses one of their rooms as a surgery for the people of Silver Town.

 

This book was wonderful and was so easy to read and I raced through it.  I absolutely loved it and I'm delighted that it is the first in a new series and I can't wait to hear what happens next to the Library Girls Of the East End.

Run, don't walk, to your bookshop to grab a copy of this - you won't be disappointed! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson

The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson Published by Avon Books 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ New Mum Orla and Party girl Kate have been best friends forever and so with Orla adapting to motherhood, and Kate facing a messy divorce, they decide to have a girl’s weekend away in Lisbon. Kate has booked the perfect apartment, complete with hot tub and they kick the weekend off in style with champagne, a fancy dinner, and drinks at a trendy bar. Returning to the apartment that evening Orla feels a bit woozy and goes to bed but the next morning, she wakes up very groggy and is convinced that her drink was spiked and she tries to piece the night back together again. When she checks on her friend, Kate is not in the apartment, and hasn’t left a note – she has simply disappeared. As Orla frantically retraces their steps she makes a series of discoveries that may change her life forever. The main character in this book is Orla who is been married to Rob, together they have baby Marlow who they conceived with IV...

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a...

When Life Interrupts Reading (And Why Books Always Wait For Us)

I've been very quiet on here over the last 18 months. Reading, something that usually anchors me, slipped quietly into the background, not because I didn't love it anymore, but because life asked me to put my energy elsewhere. The main reason is my mum. She's 89 and I adore her. Following a dementia diagnosis, she moved into residential care, a road I never imagined navigating, and one that came with a steep learning curve. In the early days there was a small silver lining, her care home was close enough that I could pop and visit her every day during my lunch hour and those visits mattered more than I can put into words. Over the last year though, her dementia has progressed very rapidly. There was pneumonia, and then on Christmas day sepsis. And as if that wasn't enough, a relative made the decision to move Mum to another care home further away from me, but nearer to her, meaning that I can no longer see her every day. Losing that routine felt like another quiet grief...