Skip to main content

The Nurse by Claire Allan published by Avon Books

 


Nurse Nell Sweeney walks to and from the hospital where she works every day believing that no harm will come of her until one day when she is taken.

 

When Nell’s friend and flatmate makes the call to say that she hasn’t seen her for two or three days, her parents Marian and Stephen who bought their daughter up to be an independent woman, are now questioning their judgement especially as she flew the nest at a young age.

A man in their area is also targeting women through fear and logging his intentions and results on the dark web. Working alone, he thrives on the responses he gets on the website until someone suggests they team up and work together –but this is one step too far for “him”.


I really enjoyed this book, although the subject matter was hard hitting and sometimes a little too difficult to read for a long while. I think it’s fair to say that it was a disturbing read and wasn’t the kind of book that I could devour in one or two sittings. I found that I had to put it down, take a few deep breathes, do something else, and then come back to it. It was also quite harrowing in places, so I wouldn’t suggest this as a book to read if you are feeling particularly low or vulnerable. Saying all that – this is a subject surrounding women and fear and is something that needs to be talked about and addressed so that it stops being “normal” and this is something that the author covers in her note at the end of the story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson

The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson Published by Avon Books 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ New Mum Orla and Party girl Kate have been best friends forever and so with Orla adapting to motherhood, and Kate facing a messy divorce, they decide to have a girl’s weekend away in Lisbon. Kate has booked the perfect apartment, complete with hot tub and they kick the weekend off in style with champagne, a fancy dinner, and drinks at a trendy bar. Returning to the apartment that evening Orla feels a bit woozy and goes to bed but the next morning, she wakes up very groggy and is convinced that her drink was spiked and she tries to piece the night back together again. When she checks on her friend, Kate is not in the apartment, and hasn’t left a note – she has simply disappeared. As Orla frantically retraces their steps she makes a series of discoveries that may change her life forever. The main character in this book is Orla who is been married to Rob, together they have baby Marlow who they conceived with IV...

When Life Interrupts Reading (And Why Books Always Wait For Us)

I've been very quiet on here over the last 18 months. Reading, something that usually anchors me, slipped quietly into the background, not because I didn't love it anymore, but because life asked me to put my energy elsewhere. The main reason is my mum. She's 89 and I adore her. Following a dementia diagnosis, she moved into residential care, a road I never imagined navigating, and one that came with a steep learning curve. In the early days there was a small silver lining, her care home was close enough that I could pop and visit her every day during my lunch hour and those visits mattered more than I can put into words. Over the last year though, her dementia has progressed very rapidly. There was pneumonia, and then on Christmas day sepsis. And as if that wasn't enough, a relative made the decision to move Mum to another care home further away from me, but nearer to her, meaning that I can no longer see her every day. Losing that routine felt like another quiet grief...

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a...