Skip to main content

The Lost Girls Of Ireland written by Susanne O'Leary and published by Bookoutre

 


 

Lydia’s Butler’s life has been turned upside down in a heartbeat – quite literally. When her husband suffers a massive heart attack and dies, Lydia finds out secrets about him which forces her, and their daughter Sunny to leave their wealthy, luxurious Dublin lifestyle, selling their house and most of their possessions and moving to Sandy Cove, in Kerry on the west coast of Ireland.


Wild Rose Bay is the last place Lydia Butler thought she’d be, but seeking solace in the run-down cottage she inherited from her Great Aunt Nellie, she tries to protect her daughter from the gossip of Dublin and adapt to a different lifestyle, but can she escape the web of deceit and re-build their lives on a shoestring?

 

This book was perfect for me – it was like slipping my feet into handmade shoes – the fit was spot on, and I don’t know how I haven’t read any of Susanne O’Leary’s books before.  Although this book is just one of the Sandy Cove series, I really didn’t feel that I missed any of the story by not reading the others, it is a standalone book but I shall now be going back to the beginning and reading them all.

I absolutely loved Lydia as a character, even though she didn’t realise how strong and resilient she was and Sunny was the perfect daughter, supporting her mum when she needed it - they made a great little team together, fighting grief and rumours but coming out smiling together.

For me though, the absolute best bit of the book was the visit to Garnish Island – my family are all from Bantry and Glengariff, although I’m a townie from London,  and so reading about my parents home-town made me feel closer to all my relatives, especially in a time when I can’t travel to see them, so it was a really lovely surprise for it to pop up on the pages of the book.

In a time where we are all stuck at home, this book was so descriptive and the writing was spot on that it made me feel the wind in my hair, and I could even smell the salt from the Wild Atlantic sea without leaving my living room.

Thank you Susanne for such a wonderfully, brilliant story.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson

The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson Published by Avon Books 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ New Mum Orla and Party girl Kate have been best friends forever and so with Orla adapting to motherhood, and Kate facing a messy divorce, they decide to have a girl’s weekend away in Lisbon. Kate has booked the perfect apartment, complete with hot tub and they kick the weekend off in style with champagne, a fancy dinner, and drinks at a trendy bar. Returning to the apartment that evening Orla feels a bit woozy and goes to bed but the next morning, she wakes up very groggy and is convinced that her drink was spiked and she tries to piece the night back together again. When she checks on her friend, Kate is not in the apartment, and hasn’t left a note – she has simply disappeared. As Orla frantically retraces their steps she makes a series of discoveries that may change her life forever. The main character in this book is Orla who is been married to Rob, together they have baby Marlow who they conceived with IV...

When Life Interrupts Reading (And Why Books Always Wait For Us)

I've been very quiet on here over the last 18 months. Reading, something that usually anchors me, slipped quietly into the background, not because I didn't love it anymore, but because life asked me to put my energy elsewhere. The main reason is my mum. She's 89 and I adore her. Following a dementia diagnosis, she moved into residential care, a road I never imagined navigating, and one that came with a steep learning curve. In the early days there was a small silver lining, her care home was close enough that I could pop and visit her every day during my lunch hour and those visits mattered more than I can put into words. Over the last year though, her dementia has progressed very rapidly. There was pneumonia, and then on Christmas day sepsis. And as if that wasn't enough, a relative made the decision to move Mum to another care home further away from me, but nearer to her, meaning that I can no longer see her every day. Losing that routine felt like another quiet grief...

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a...