Skip to main content

Review: Why Mummy Swears

Why Mummy Swears Why Mummy Swears by Gill Sims
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's the start of the summer holidays, and six long, expensive weeks stretch out ahead of Ellen as she struggles to think of cheap and stimulating ways to entertain her children Peter and Jane. Without much support from her husband Simon (who I didn't initially warm to!) who says things like "you expect me to look after the children?" she gets on with the job in hand, but slowly simmers with resentment.

For anyone who has primary school age children this book will make you hold your sides with laughter as you will relate to countless stories. For me, it was the PTA (I didn't last as long on it as Ellen!) as I couldn't understand why people take the task of organising a school disco as seriously as if they were organising the next World Summit Meeting!!

You are in complete danger of laughing out loud when reading this book, so beware in open spaces!!! I also found myself sitting in bed of an evening saying to my partner, "Oh god, listen to this," and then reading page after page to him while wiping tears that were streaming down my face with laughter.

I hadn't read Gill Sims first book, Why Mummy Drinks Gin-I did get it for Christmas, but it's still on my TBR shelf, but I shall be digging it out and making it a top priority to read it, as this one was brilliant.

I got an ARC in return for an honest and open review.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson

The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson Published by Avon Books 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ New Mum Orla and Party girl Kate have been best friends forever and so with Orla adapting to motherhood, and Kate facing a messy divorce, they decide to have a girl’s weekend away in Lisbon. Kate has booked the perfect apartment, complete with hot tub and they kick the weekend off in style with champagne, a fancy dinner, and drinks at a trendy bar. Returning to the apartment that evening Orla feels a bit woozy and goes to bed but the next morning, she wakes up very groggy and is convinced that her drink was spiked and she tries to piece the night back together again. When she checks on her friend, Kate is not in the apartment, and hasn’t left a note – she has simply disappeared. As Orla frantically retraces their steps she makes a series of discoveries that may change her life forever. The main character in this book is Orla who is been married to Rob, together they have baby Marlow who they conceived with IV...

When Life Interrupts Reading (And Why Books Always Wait For Us)

I've been very quiet on here over the last 18 months. Reading, something that usually anchors me, slipped quietly into the background, not because I didn't love it anymore, but because life asked me to put my energy elsewhere. The main reason is my mum. She's 89 and I adore her. Following a dementia diagnosis, she moved into residential care, a road I never imagined navigating, and one that came with a steep learning curve. In the early days there was a small silver lining, her care home was close enough that I could pop and visit her every day during my lunch hour and those visits mattered more than I can put into words. Over the last year though, her dementia has progressed very rapidly. There was pneumonia, and then on Christmas day sepsis. And as if that wasn't enough, a relative made the decision to move Mum to another care home further away from me, but nearer to her, meaning that I can no longer see her every day. Losing that routine felt like another quiet grief...

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a...