Skip to main content

Review: Recipe for Life

Recipe for Life Recipe for Life by Mary Berry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I listened to this book via Audible, and it was narrated by Patricia Hodge, but after a while, I was convinced that it was Mary Berry herself who was telling the story.

I will admit at the start, that I've never been a massive Bake Off fan, or a fan of cokkery or baking shows, but for some reason, I was drawn to this book, and I wasn't disappointed.

I learnt a few new things about her, I didn't realise she sadly lost a son, and although I knew she was a brilliant cook, I didn't know that she studied Cordon Bleu cookery in Paris either.

By the end of the book, I was completely and utterly in love with Mary - and I now live my life thinking "What would Mary do?" I even made her meringue wreath for my New Years Eve dinner, which was a show stopper! (And I've never made a meringue in my life before!)

The only criticism I have with the audio edition of this book is that at the end of every chapter, Mary obviously gives a recipe, which is wonderful for the print edition, but difficult for the audio version!

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a

Review: One Enchanted Evening

One Enchanted Evening by Anton du Beke My rating: 4 of 5 stars Anton Du Beke has his finger in many pies, professional dancer, singer, entertainer and now he can add novelist to the list. One Enchanted Evening is set in the ballroom of a London hotel in the 1930s and tells the story of Raymond De Guise, the principle dancer, chambermaid Nancy, and porter Billy who all work downstairs, behind the scenes of the hotel. As you would expect dancing is a big feature in this book, but also surprisingly was the politics of the time, which I found added another dimension to the story. If you like Downton Abbey or The Halcyon (the ITV drama set in a hotel) or Upstairs Downstairs, you will love this book. An enjoyable debut novel from Mr Du Beke. View all my reviews

Diva written by Daisy Goodwin and published by Aria and Aries

  Opera singer Maria Callas known as “ la divina” with her fabulous voice was born with note only a gift of singing, but also the drama and beauty needed to succeed on the worldwide operatic stages. Sadly, liked a bird in a gilded cage, Maria’s life is lonely, and although surrounded by people and her husband she feels isolated. When she meets the fabulously rich shipping magnate, Aristotle Onassis, her isolation melts away. For the first time in her life, she believes she's found a man who sees the woman rather than the legendary soprano. Desperately in love, Onassis introduces her to a life of unbelievable luxury, mixing with celebrities like Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. And then, suddenly, it's over. The international press announce that Onassis will marry the most famous woman in the world, former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, leaving Maria to pick up the pieces. This is a fictional account based on true events, think of The