Skip to main content

Review: The Idea of You

The Idea of You The Idea of You by Amanda Prowse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lucy and Jonah meet at a christening, fall in love, marry, and are over the moon when Lucy discovers she is pregnant, until at 11 weeks she starts to bleed and their hopes and dreams for the new addition to their family fade.

I always find with Amanda Prowse's books that I can relate to the story in one way or another, and yet again I can because I sadly suffered a miscarriage, like Lucy at 11 weeks into my pregnancy and so I felt every emotion that was written. Every tear she shed, I did, when she got angry with life, I did and when she was thinking "why me?" I did too.

This isn't a twee attempt at a subject that women still don't talk about, this was written from the heart and the characters were very true to life. I loved Lucy, and wanted to sit on the sofa with her, hold her hand and tell her that the pain of a lost child doesn't go away, you just learn to live with it. Jonah, well I wasn't sure if I liked him or loathed him...I wanted to like him, but sometimes he got under my skin and I wanted to slap him!!!

Amanda Prowse has a God given talent to take subjects that we might not want to talk about, and weave magical threads around them so that we do end up having those conversations...she is the Rumplestiltskin of the written word.

I can't wait until the next book!!

Thank you to Netgalley and Amanda Prowse for the advance copy in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson

The Weekend Away by Sarah Alderson Published by Avon Books 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ New Mum Orla and Party girl Kate have been best friends forever and so with Orla adapting to motherhood, and Kate facing a messy divorce, they decide to have a girl’s weekend away in Lisbon. Kate has booked the perfect apartment, complete with hot tub and they kick the weekend off in style with champagne, a fancy dinner, and drinks at a trendy bar. Returning to the apartment that evening Orla feels a bit woozy and goes to bed but the next morning, she wakes up very groggy and is convinced that her drink was spiked and she tries to piece the night back together again. When she checks on her friend, Kate is not in the apartment, and hasn’t left a note – she has simply disappeared. As Orla frantically retraces their steps she makes a series of discoveries that may change her life forever. The main character in this book is Orla who is been married to Rob, together they have baby Marlow who they conceived with IV...

When Life Interrupts Reading (And Why Books Always Wait For Us)

I've been very quiet on here over the last 18 months. Reading, something that usually anchors me, slipped quietly into the background, not because I didn't love it anymore, but because life asked me to put my energy elsewhere. The main reason is my mum. She's 89 and I adore her. Following a dementia diagnosis, she moved into residential care, a road I never imagined navigating, and one that came with a steep learning curve. In the early days there was a small silver lining, her care home was close enough that I could pop and visit her every day during my lunch hour and those visits mattered more than I can put into words. Over the last year though, her dementia has progressed very rapidly. There was pneumonia, and then on Christmas day sepsis. And as if that wasn't enough, a relative made the decision to move Mum to another care home further away from me, but nearer to her, meaning that I can no longer see her every day. Losing that routine felt like another quiet grief...

REVIEW: Moonlight Over Studland Bay by Della Galton

  Moonlight Over Studland Bay – Della Galton published by Boldwood Books Samantha Jones works as an audio typist for a local company in Dorset. However, it’s not her dreams job. She wanted to devote, and expand, Purbeck Pooches, her pet sitting service. When best friend (and housemate) Abby has a baby boy Sam’s priorities change and she realises she wants more from her life. Does she want life to continue as it is or does she want to look for the perfect sperm donor – on a drunken evening Abby and Sam draw up the perfect "daddy" list. Sam’s world is soon rocked when her boss Rex accuses her of moonlighting and her parents who have run a B&B locally for years make a shock revelation. I’m going to say it from the start…I loved this book! Sam is a relatable character who knows what she wants from life, but she doesn’t want to upset, hurt or trample on people to get it. She’s just an all-round good egg!! There were times in the book when Abby made me laugh but a...